Friday 27 February 2015

THE NIGHTINGALE

This is my 51st book review on this blog.It feels like starting a whole new chapter and I wanted it to begin with something special.This book,ensured that it did!

This novel is set in Nazi occupied France in World War 2 and tells the story of two sisters,Vianne and Isabelle ,separated by years and experience,having different ideals and being in different circumstances,each embarking on her own dangerous path towards survival and freedom.Vianne does everything in her capacity to keep her daughter ,Sophie safe while battling starvation and invasion by SS Officers and Isabelle,always the rebel plunges headlong into the resistance by delivering secret messages during the day and smuggling downed pilots through treacherous mountains so they can fight another day.The people they meet,the family bonds,the hardships they endure,the frienships they forge,the love that blooms despite the circumstances or inspite of them changes them in ways unknown.Quiet Vianne and headstrong Isabelle ,neither of them will be the same by the time the war has ended.It is true---

'In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.'

My Views:What an exceptionally well-written book!The writing is flawless and it blew me away with its intensity,I had to pause and just breathe deeply at several points while reading it.I was instantly transported to another place and time.It was like watching them from close quarters.Have you ever experienced something like that?!I read it through two nights because you require some undisturbed quiet to read a book like this.Have u heard of books capable of changing the way you think?Books which make you question?It affected me so much and was so heart-wrenching that it got me all emotional.I cried for the characters.The relationship between the two sisters was so aptly portrayed.I admired Vianne and Isabelle for their resilience,indomitable spirit and ability to make the right choices in those desperate times.I kept hoping for a happy ending for all of them.At no point was there a dip in the interest level.The pace kept building,things kept happening.The horrors,the sacrifices,the ruthlessness and yet friendships and love thriving at a time like this.I cannot even begin to imagine what they must have gone through and how they survived it all just clinging on to shreds of hope.This is a book about how brave women behaved during the time of war.How at the end of it all it is said that, 'Men tell stories,Women get on with it'.It is truly a homage to all these brave people and their resilient spirit.Books like these serve to remind us never to take anything in our lives for granted,however little or much it may be.It makes us grateful for what we have.


It will be difficult to pick up another book for some time now.This story just refuses to leave me.Kudos to Kristin Hannah!I will definitely be reading more by her.


I loved this book and I am happy to chronicle it here so that I remember it as one amongst the best I have read.It is truly a novel for a lifetime.Highly recommended!


I rate it a 5 out of 5.   

No comments:

Post a Comment