Tuesday 30 May 2017

STALKER

When I got to know that Kepler remains at the top of the Scandinavian crime fiction list the world over,I knew I just had to read the books.I picked this one up immediately because the title intrigued me .I never start a series with the first book because I feel I can decide better if im to read the series if I randomly choose a book and like it.So this is the fifth book in the Joona Linna series and can also be read as a stand-alone.

The plot:
The story begins with a voyeur clip sent to the National Criminal Investigation Division.The clip is of a woman doing everyday things.However just minutes after ,the woman is found brutally stabbed to death in a frenzied manner,leaving her unrecognisable.When this pattern keeps repeating itself ,they realise they are dealing with a sadistic serial killer and are horrified to know that any attempt to save the victims is impossible because the race against time starts as soon as they've been sent a video clip.
The case is being investigated by Margot Silverman and things get even more complicated when it becomes clear that the Stalkers hallmark style is identical to that of a previous murderer who is currently locked away.The question then arises if theres a copy-cat murderer on the loose or if there is some relation between the case that happened years ago.Things keep getting complicated when the forensic expert and hypnotist Erik Maria Bark is also involved in what has happened.Morover Joona Linna comes back from the dead!

My Views:

This plot unfolded in a maze of narratives and it was high intensity drama from the word go.I pulled an all nighter for this one.I just couldnt put it down.The intrigue level is very high and you dont see the twists coming.The characters are very well written and it can be read as a stand alone.Although its the fifth book in the Joona Linna series,he has very little role to play in this book.
However in the second half on the book the descriptions get too tedious.I was on the edge of my seat and literally tearing my hair out wanting to know what happens next when I was forced to read descriptive passages about the weather and the lake and the surroundings.My patience was wearing thin at this point and I was on the verge of shouting 'Just cut to the chase' more than once.But the unexpected twists saved the day and kept me going.
The part about how Joona Linna deals with things was a bit over the top but then I guess that was expected since he was brought back from the dead and some larger than life drama was on order.
It was just impossible to crack this one.It is a masterful,suspenseful tale and  I really enjoyed it.
What more can i say---Ive just discovered KEPLER!

I rate it a 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment