Saturday 14 May 2016

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

I am determined to get things done before I go back to being myself .Thats one of the reasons Im posting a second review today.This is a new author and a debut novel.I stumbled across a few people raving about it and decided to pick it up.Besides the title was intriguing and the synopsis said that sometimes,the perfect marriage is the perfect lie and in times like these,I thought that it is very believable.

This is the story of a seemingly perfect couple,Jack and Grace.Jack is handsome and rich and Grace is charming and elegant.But you soon figure out that somethings not quite right because they are never apart.Grace never answers the phone.They have a common email.She never meets anyone for lunch or coffee.She cooks elaborate meals but still remains very slim.So you know that things are not always the way they seem.Is it then the perfect life or the perfect lie?

My views:

This book was a fairly simple read.I liked the way it alternated between the present and the past.We are taken on a journey through the couples life from how they meet to how they get together.Jack comes across as the perfect guy in every way.Charming,handsome,accomodative towards Grace's sister Millie who has Downs syndrome and Grace is swept off her feet and agrees to marry him.Thats exactly when things go in a downward spiral.

It was a page-turner to a certain extent,then it got a bit unbelievable.I was very interested to see where the story was going and how it would end.Parts of the story are excellent and keep you at the edge of your seat but in parts you wonder why Grace is behaving the way she does.

Jacks character is believable to an extent.I know sadists do exist but here the sadism is taken to unnatural heights.I hated the way Molly,the puppy was treated.From there on it just got more bizzare.Thats when my interest level dipped and it started to feel like fiction.

But if you delude yourself into somehow believing that all of it could happen,then you'll enjoy the book.It shines in parts.I liked how the story ends.I would have been very disappointed if it had to end any other way.

Considering that its a debut novel,I rate it a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment