Sunday 14 February 2016

BLUE

Danielle Steel always brings forth a fresh wave of nostalgia.I admit not having read her books since many years now but things were very different way back in junior college.One summer back then,I went on a Danielle Steel reading spree.I remember going to the local library and getting only her books throughout that summer.Not a good idea but I was young and foolish.By the end of the summer I was ready to move on forever from her books because the plot lines seemed very similar and I couldnt tell the stories apart.So things changed,I found new authors and her books were relegated to a remote corner on my shelf.

However there was something about this book that got me interested.Maybe I was trying to recreate the magic of that wonderful summer long past gone or maybe I wanted to see how I would react to her books after all this time or maybe I decided to pick it up for old times sake.But pick it up,I did and I just finished reading it yesterday.

Onto the story:


Ginny Carter is a young widow who led a once glamorous life as a tv anchor along with her husband and three year old son.She is now the sole survivor of a car accident that took the life of her husband and son.Wracked with survivors guilt,she gives up on life and tries to be of help to others by taking dangerous trips to countries where there are women and children who need help.On the anniversary of her family's death she comes back to New York.It is Christmas Eve and very depressing if you are alone in New York City and she is contemplating about killing herself when she encounters a homeless teenager,Blue,who has been living on the streets,abandoned by his family,directionless and utterly alone.


Ginny extends a hand to help and an unsual bond develops between the two of them.This relationship helps both of them to learn to trust and find a family's love again.However Blue has a dark secret buried deep inside his soul.Does Ginny succeed in reaching out to him or are some wounds too deep to heal.Is it really so simple to lead a whole life again after suffering so much is what this story is all about.


My Views:


When I began reading this book,I found that there was nothing terribly different about the story.The same old predictable plot.I knew what was coming next and nothing was surprising.Though it was fairly simple to read and didnt demand too much from the reader,it was narrated in a kind of a detached manner.I didnt find myself getting involved with the lives of the characters.


Of course my heart went out to Ginny and Blue.But I guess,I am a bit too skeptical,I find it hard to believe that goodness like this exists in the world and its beginning to get a bit difficult to accept that in fiction as well.It just seemed too good to be true.Besides Blue was lucky to come out of a situation like that without trauma or baggage of any kind.That didnt go down well with me either.What are the odds of two people (who are complete strangers and who happen to meet by chance ) being just perfect human beings and well suited to each other?!Honestly I think thats hardly ever possible.The chances of things going drastically wrong are very high in scenarios like these.Anyway let me not dwell too much on the negatives.
It is a story where everything has to fall in place in the end so I guess the plot calls for stuff like this.


The story was about
trust,friendship,family,guilt and mostly about finding a reason for living.Everything Ginny does was straight from the heart and I thought that as really commendable.

However as I neared the end,something changed.Sometimes,unexpectedly a book speaks to us.It could be a book you havent connected with for the most part but there is this one line somewhere which tells you exactly what you need at that moment and you stop to think about it.It might be something you already know,but its different when its staring you in the face.So there was something in there which did manage to touch me.


It also said that 'Everybody has something they can beat themselves up for.Its just not worth the energy to do it'.I liked that.


It didnt recreate the magic of that summer for me.I guess Ive come too far ahead to ever go back.


I rate it a 3 out of 5.






No comments:

Post a Comment