Sunday 22 November 2015

PRETTY GIRLS

I'm always up for a good thriller.I like it even more when its fast paced.This book caught my attention while I was browsing lists for my next read.I wasnt disappointed.

The story tells us about how two estranged sisters come together to find the truth about a harrowing tragedy,twenty years earlier,that devastates their lives.

Claire and Lydias sister Julia just vanished from their lives without a trace.Despite doing everything within their capacity,the disappearance remains a mystery.One thing leads to another and everything changes within the family and the sisters havent spoken to each other for all these years and lead two very different lives.

Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of  an Atlanta millionaire while Lydia is a single mother struggling to make ends meet.However another disappearance of a teenage girl after all these years and the murder of a middle aged man opens a can of worms.The sisters ,bound together by shared loss ,unearth secrets that will shock,surprise and shatter lives.

My Views:

This book had me spellbound right from the word go.I have read thrillers but Karin Slaughter took this story to another level.It shocked me by the graphic violence and the utterly gripping plot.You better have a strong heart to stomach the gory detailing.The characters are well-developed and very believable.They have distinctly different personalities.

This story shows how a crime affects an entire family and how each member copes in different ways.Parts of this book got me very emotional,especially the fathers heartfelt letters to Julia.I normally dont use expletives but this saw me unleashing the worst expletives possible(in my mind) for the psychopath.The details of the horrific acts are very graphic and make you want to throw up.These get a bit repetitive towards the end but it just ends up building a fury in the reader making him want to know what is going to happen next.I had no idea that things like this actually happen in real life.The world just got sicker and perverse after reading this book.

The end was high intensity and satisfying.It couldnt have ended any other way.I see this one being made into a movie.This is easily the best psychological crime thriller I have read this year.

I rate it a 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I am first time visiting your blog. But cant resist to say that ,pls change the color. Its very difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete