Monday 15 June 2015

THE LIAR

I hadn't read anything by Nora Roberts before this.I know she has a huge fan following and people love her books and I really wanted to read them.I follow the bestseller list like a hound and when I got to know that THE LIAR featured on it for a couple of weeks,I knew that I just had to read it.

This book is about Shelby Foxworth who is recently widowed and finds that her husband wasn't who she thought he was at all.He has left her in crippling debt and is a swindler,a thief and an adulterer.Shelby takes her three year old daughter Callie and moves to Tennessee where she is originally from,to seek comfort in her hometown surrounded by her family.However just as she is trying to build a new life for herself ,it seems someone is out there too watching her every move. Danger has followed her there and is closer than she knows.

My Views: Ho Hum ..is what this story was to me.The same pathetic rehash.What could be over in a hundered pages went on and on until I just couldnt bear it anymore.It didnt take me too long to realise that the story wasnt going anywhere but I continued with it just because I dont believe in leaving books half read.It just got too repetitive.Besides I couldnt connect to the main character Shelby.I thought she was too gullible to be true and she irritated me to such an extent that I did not like her at all.I did not feel sorry for her.

Griff the new man in her life was just about ok though I couldnt understand what the 'word of the day' deal was all about.Anyway he was the typical knight in shining armor waiting and ready to help a damsel in distress.He tried too hard.I found their chemistry completely physical and totally weird.This wasn't a love story and I didnt expect so much graphic romance here.Needless to say that made it worse.As though someones trying to make up for a lame plot.

I regret spending my time on this story.I just couldnt understand how Shelby behaves the way she does.Even when she is planning to do something on her own she asks everyone for their opinion and I had to read the same thing over and over again and then she goes on to get irked if someone just says that he is looking out for her!

There was a huge cast of supporting characters which included her family and old high school friends.Everyone comes from a small-town where everyone is connected and related somehow and they all just gossip about everyone else.I cannot believe I spent so much time on this story.

However maybe this one is not her best.I still think I could try liking Nora Roberts but im not going to pick up another book by her until the memory of this one fades.

I rate it a 2 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment