Saturday 31 January 2015

IN CONVERSATION WITH OLIVIER LAFONT- AUTHOR OF 'WARRIOR'



I had reviewed 'WARRIOR' a few weeks ago on the 15 th of january and was fascinated by the phantasmogoric imagination.'WARRIOR' was recently shortlisted for the Tibor Jones South Asia Prize.I was curious to know more about Olivier Lafont,the author of Warrior and decided to ask him a few questions.

Olivier Sanjay Lafont is a French actor and writer living in Mumbai,India.He has acted in Hindi feature films such as the blockbuster hit '3 Idiots' and the critically acclaimed 'Guzaarish',as well as over seventy television commercials for top Indian brands.Besides being a film and television actor he is also a screenplay writer,model,voice over artist,director,producer and as we all know now an Author.You can read all about him here.



1. Why mythological fiction? Would you like to share a synopsis of your book?
         My interest in mythology has been there since childhood. I got my initial interest in mythology from my father, who is a historian and archaeologist. As a kid I was naturally interested in heroes and their adventures, and mythology fit perfectly into that. Later I grew into a fantasy reader and writer. For me fantasy is a kind of fictional mythology. Writing a book that used Indian mythology and stories was something that happened naturally since a major part of my childhood was spent in India.
         ‘Warrior is the story of Saam, the demigod son of Shiva. Saam has turned his back on his divine origin and powers, scarred by a long lifetime of war and killing. He now lives in todays Mumbai, hoping to lose himself in a small, simple life. His past, however, comes back and forces him to take up the sword again. When the book opens India is torn apart by cataclysmic omens heralding the end of the world, which is within Shivas purview. Saam must confront his father and try to turn back the end of the world, or risk losing it all.


2. What was the most challenging part about writing this book?
         Writing the book didnt feel like a challenge in that respect, it was a creatively flowing, organic experience.


3. Describe in brief your journey as an
author?
         I knew that I wanted to be a writer from a young age. After university in the USA I returned to India and moved to Mumbai to write my first feature film. I had earlier written the first incarnation of Warrior as a film screenplay. I eventually turned it into a novel, but it took some time since I was busy with several other things. I finally sent it to publishers, and here we are.


4. How easy/difficult is it to juggle multiple careers?
         Its easy in that these are all careers which Im passionate about, and that theyre modular. The difficulty is that its freelance, which is unstructured.


5. What do you have to say about the recent Charlie Hebdo attack?
         Id rather not comment on it.


6. Who are your favourite authors?
         My favourite authors from the past, from when I started reading fantasy, were Lloyd Alexander, Brian Jacques, Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, Michael Moorcock. Recently Ive liked George R.R. Martin, Susanna Clarke, Garth Nix. Lately Ive just read Mark LawrenceThe Broken Empire.


7. Which book are you currently reading?
         Ive been reading Joe AbercrombieThe First Law books.


8. What is your favourite genre and why?
         Fantasy. To me its the biggest, most all-encompassing genre available to storytelling. If you read stories to dream, fantasy is the most natural place you will reach.


9. Who or what is your biggest inspiration?
         My wife is my biggest inspiration. Shes someone who lives her life with a great deal of heart, with her own spirit, with intelligence, and with unimpeachable honesty.


10. How easy/difficult was the publishing process?
         The publishing process was straightforward and fairly quick. I enjoyed every step, from the editing to working on the cover design.


11. What advice do you have for new authors?
         The idea I live and write by is to do what interests me, and to know exactly why Im doing it. Passion and clarity, in short.


Thank you Olivier,for taking the time to answer these questions and wish you the best in all your future endeavours.Im looking forward to your next book.




Links and other relevant details

ISBN-10: 0143423630

ISBN-13: 9780143423638

PUBLISHER: Penguin Books India







WARRIOR BOOK TRAILER LINK
http://youtu.be/qDLMISZAzME



No comments:

Post a Comment