Monday 10 November 2014

THE ALL YOU CAN DREAM BUFFET



Just how do u pick up a book?Well,I for one read the dust jacket first,then open it randomly to any page and read a paragraph or two just to get a feel of the writing and if that enagages me I go ahead and buy it.However lately I have been in a strange kind of phase wherein i am picking up books just by looking at the cover.I hope this phase sorts itself soon because I usually feel compelled to read what I buy and inevitably toil through it refusing to put it down even if it is an average read.Most of the time,it is and by the end of it I am usually left annoyed and grumpy.

Like I said,I picked this one up because I liked its cover.This is a story about four friends,women in different age groups who meet each other through their blogs.There is Lavender Wills,the owner of Lavender Honey Farms who connects with Ginny,a cake blogger,Ruby,who blogs about organic eating and Valerie, who has a popular wine blog.Lavender is soon to celebrate her 85th birthday and extends an invitation to her three friends to come to her farm and join in the celebrations.However there is more to Lavenders invitation.She wants to leave her farm and its successful business of honey,lavender and organic produce to one of the women,instead of her nephews who she knows dont really care much for the farm and will eventually sell it to a developer and she cant bear the thought.

Ginny,Ruby and Valerie have their own stories.Ginny is travelling from Kansas for the first time in her life in an attempt to run away from an unhappy marriage.Ruby is a young pregnant woman trying to sort her own issues and Valerie is trying to connect with her teenage daughter after a family tragedy.

My views:It is a fairly simple story and I did like it for that.It also includes pages of blogs that the women post.Somehow that didn't strike a chord with me.However it was alluring to read about the the farm and the lavender. I could not relate to the addition of magical realism in an otherwise ordinary story.Also the cover is very misleading and so is the title.At no point while reading the story could I imagine something like the picture depicted in the cover.The romance is raunchy and something totally unexpected in a book like this.
Some lines did stay with me though,especially when Ruby says---"Sometimes things just are.There's no message from the great beyond or God or whoever.Life evolves."
and also"Whenever I am going to leave one place for another,it is as if every corner and light switch and scent of the old place suddenly becomes unbearably unique and precious beyond measure.And of course they are.Every moment of our lives is precious and unique beyond measure."

All in all,the story is predictable.Sometimes I couldn't relate to the characters.The romance is unnecessary and cheesy.

My personal rating:2 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment