Sunday 23 February 2014

TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE



Several years ago,one idle summer morning ,I was in Borders ,looking for a quick read,I wanted a small book.Something I could comfortably read and finish fast.

I came across this book while browsing and immediately leafed through it because it was small and because the title 'Tuesdays with Morrie' was so appealing.I liked what I read and continued reading it.

Now,the good thing about Borders is that you can read any book there without actually buying it.They have comfortable sofas and a neat cafe ,which allows you to take the book anywhere in the premise and read it ,as long as you return it to the shelf after you are done.I was immediately hooked and finished reading it in a few hours.I loved the book and over the course of time I forgot about it.

Just a few days ago ,my sister mentioned the book in one of our conversations.She had read it and loved it too and when I told her that I had too ,she immediately asked me,what I liked most about the book.She told me to tell her any one thing that stayed on with me after reading it and I totally blanked out.

I vaguely remembered that its about a student who visits his ailing professor(he is suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease) and how the professor teaches him lifes valuable lessons.However I couldn't recall anything else about the book.That's when I realized that a book like Tuesdays with Morrie isn't something just to be read.Its one of those books that are meant to not only be read, but savoured and remembered always.

I wanted to correct this immediately and re-read the book a second time,this time paying due attention to the detail,to things the book was really trying to tell me.To what Morrie,really wanted to say.

I rediscovered it once more.Its a wonderful book and each chapter begins with a meeting on tuesday when Morrie and his student discuss the issues that haunt all of us in life at some point or the other.Be it love,marriage,work,aging and even death.Things we do think about.Stuff that baffles us because there are no clear answers.

Morrie teaches us valuable lessons ,something each of us needs to incorporate in our lives. At one point I wished I had a teacher like him.

This is a book,I will read again at some point and I know that I will learn from it,each time.It could be a wake-up call for those who are so busy with their lives that they don't take the time to just be and appreciate what they have and be thankful for all the little things.It shows how resilient Morrie is even when he knows he is dying.

Books like these are very hard to come by,but when they do, they leave you a changed person.Changed for the better.These books compel you to stop and think.

Morrie truly lives on!

1 comment:

  1. i read this book couple years ago and definitely liked it. so many lessons there were to learn

    ReplyDelete